http://www.makepovertyhistory.org Visual Metaphor: Weird Dreams

Visual Metaphor

Visual Metaphor are the ramblings of an engineering student up in University of Waterloo, Canada. My favorite rants are about philosophy, morality, religion, technology, society and culture with the occassional psychedelic poetry

Name:
Location: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada

Tuesday, August 10, 2004

Weird Dreams

I'm one of these people that usually never have dreams. I sleep and I dream of a staring at a black canvas and then get up (usually after several tries of turning off my alarm). Then once in while, for some odd reason, I have a dream. And usually its not just your average normal dream, but some really weird and whacked out ones. I'm wondering what stimulates these dreams to occur in me on rare occasions, and why I lack the ability to have regular dreams. Or maybe I do dream and instantly forget them the second before I get up. Hmmm.

So, tonites dream went something like this.

I have a pet cockroach. It has a labeled sticker that I made on it, that personalizes it so that people know it belongs to me. The cockroach had some function with the t.v. or something. I know that because I lost the cockroach and I got the feeling that my mom was upset with me with concerns to the t.v. (you know how you can just "feel" things in dreams). Anywho, I'm searching for my cockroach and then I find it come out under the t.v. and see the label that I had on it for the first time (this is when I realized that I had labeled it). Anywho, I look at it and am scared of picking it up (I don't like cockroaches or insects or vegetables btw) because it looked different. I felt as if it had changed. So now, something or the other happens and I'm now in a lecture hall of some sort. This is like a futuristic yet very shitty university (as far as design goes). Professor Burn's from Human Systems is teaching here, and various people from my class are there as well. Anywho, I don't remember what was being taught, but I do remember going up the escalator. That was a pain. For some reason, gravity was acting horrendously weird, so we had to grab hold of these rails while moving up the escalator or else we'd fall down. To get off the escalator, you had to jump and grab onto the side rails and swing yourself from rail to rail and eventually jump onto the stairs and get onto your regular hallway. Oh it gets weirder.

Then, shoot back to some place outside, and I'm worried about my cockroach. My brother and sister come to help me, and then we suddenly see him. OH, but forget the fact that the cockroach is now a kid! He's a brown little bugger...um...kid, whose walking in front of me, but not running. Anyways, so my brother is pushing me to catch him, but since I'm so physically disinclined, I walk even slower now. But we have to catch the kid cause ..I dunno..I guess he belongs to us. So I see my friend Taneem there on the sides, probably waiting for a bus. In a flash of brilliance, I realize how fast Taneem runs (...racing at 1 a.m...) and call out to him. "Taneem, catch that kid"! And he blazes in front of me, in an act of gregarious friendship. My brother says "he runs fast". So Taneem catches the little kid and brings him to me. Now apparently this kid is like our servant but he doesn't want to be or something. So I tell him that he could've just talked to me instead of running away.

Cut. Next scene.

Apparently some fancy dress thing or some wedding was happening during the night. I don't recall this part to much, but I remember seeing some familiar faces, like Michael Allison there (classmate).

Cut. Next scene.

So I am back in class. Obviously my dreams don't like to follow one story line, but its more of a t.v. show. A bad one. Now, the class hasn't started yet, and after going through does crazy elevators, I open the lecture hall door and see just a few people sitting there. However, there's this horrendously annoying sound coming from God knows where. Its these stupid crows! Imagine a bunch of crows having a shouting match! Apparently, a bunch of baby birds where left in our lecture hall by a mother crow. So we find them, and they look like little chicklet birds but with the voice of crows. Horrible. I also find three of them dead, not near the nest but near where the desks where. Afraid that he mother crow will come back and we'll have a Alfred Hitchcock scene, I take the three deceased and toss them behind in some yard.

Now this yard. Its like this magical place. For some reason, I go into. There some houses around, but right here is like a garden filled with life. Again, gravity is extremely weird, and me with my great physical abilities, keep on falling down. So I'm on the ground and looking up at the most beautiful fall tree that I have ever seen. Suddenly, my fear of insects come back, because there are schools of them waltzing on the ground (nothing scary or anything). So I do my matrix moves by balancing myself on my hands and letting these insects walk underneath me and not onto me. Then, I see the weirdest thing. Its like a huge walking bird, made up of little birds. Just imagine this! A bird around 5 feet high, which is not a bird, but merely a collection of little birds that are standing on top of each other and making up the form of this bird. And this Bird is running around the garden with others of its kind. I so wish that I had a camera! Oh, but there's this Chinese girl there (i'm sure no one I know) and she has a video camera. I keep on pointing to those birds so that she can take the video and she does, all the while im on balancing on my hands.

Fin.

Ok, so that was it. Any budding Freudians out there want to explain this to me? A side note, when I got up, those stupid annoying crows were sitting right on the trees outside my rez room, and my windows were open. Its surreal how real life impulses can effect/invade your dream.

Oh, and I went back to sleep after and then had another dream, where me and my brother managed to drive both of our cars (a dodge caravan and an intrepid) over the dock into a lake. We both survive, but we try to lift the cars out of the water, unsuccessfully no doubt. So we try to get people to help us, yadda yadda. Anyways, the story never finished so I don't know what happened.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

lotsa POPEYS can cause wierd dreams:)

5:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home