http://www.makepovertyhistory.org Visual Metaphor: Music

Visual Metaphor

Visual Metaphor are the ramblings of an engineering student up in University of Waterloo, Canada. My favorite rants are about philosophy, morality, religion, technology, society and culture with the occassional psychedelic poetry

Name:
Location: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada

Saturday, April 16, 2005

Music

So i bought a few CDs this week. I know. CDs? What are those? You know, those circular shiny things from which music comes from. Yea, i need to do some hardcore calculus studying and thought I'd buy some music for the long nites.

I picked up Led Zeppelin IV and a collection of Nirvana's best hits. Prior to this I had heard only two songs from each but I knew that I would like the rest of their songs. Both CD's have turned out quite worth the money. I can't get the songs out of my head and as soon as I finish one CD i pop the other one in. Best tracks so far: Battle of Evermore + Going to California (LZ) and All Apologies + The Man Who Sold the World (N)

I've been moving a lot towards classic rock for the past year. Especially since I got into the Beatles which are my favorite band (sorry BoyzIIMen, that was in the 90's, this is the new millenium) and Cat Stevens my favorite solo artist.

Along the way I've listened to (not CD's hehehe) Fleetwood Mac (their Rumours is simply a classic), Metallica, Eagles ...so their next on my list of music..."purchases" (what? 2 CDs is more than my fair share of $). My high school bud recommended the Doors, so I'll see what I can get for them.

I actually can't wait till Sam Roberts comes out with their new CD. They've been working on it for a while now. I loved every single song on their last album, so I'm looking forward to some good material to study to.

Ofcourse, I've also gotten really into Classical Guitar, since first hearing the song Lotus Eaters by the Los Angelos Guitar Quartet. They have quite the eclectic, non-traditional and experimentalist style. It was because of that song that I decided to learn how to play classical myself. For a person who has no singing talent or natural music instincts (see my brother, sis and dad for that), I think i've progressed quite well, but I'm still very choppy in my playing.

I'm planning on buying a proper classical guitar this summer with my co-op earnings; right now I'm using a patched/glued up 5 year old guitar from a family friend. I can't wait to do window shopping for that!

6 Comments:

Blogger fahd said...

I guess someone could carry out a study to determine the affects of different types of music during studying!

Fast loud songs can pump you up, classical music soothes you and well it depends on how people react to different music.

Nirvana has some really nice tunes (other than Teen Spirit which is simply amazing) that don't have "noise" in them but is what can be considered "music". Ofcourse Nirvana is grunge rock as opposed to hard or metal rock which i simply can't stand study or no study.

I've also been starting to listen to pakistani rock lately, like Strings and Jal/Atif Aslam. I think our country has some really good talent. In fact my brother has started performing infront of university crowds and I've been exposed due to that to the Toronto desi music scene. There are a lot of pretenders and politics but also some genuine talent.

3:28 AM  
Blogger Impossible Black Tulip said...

Fahd you should listen to Nirvana Unplugged in New York..its incredible. Everything that made them famous (loud guitars, screaming, punding drums etc) was stripped away and the same people who loved the "hard" stuff loved this. Its nirvana stripped to its bear essence..absolutely awesome. I have a tape of it if you wanna borrow it. Peace.

9:44 PM  
Blogger fahd said...

That would be awesome Matt! What other classic rock bands would you recommend for my summer listening?

10:08 AM  
Blogger Impossible Black Tulip said...

hmm summer listening eh?...i'm not sure maybe some of the Clash, i also heard that "the Velvet Underground" is a very influential band..in fact one of their albums features a painting by Andy Warhol. Pretty much every early 90s band was influenced by "the Pixies"..can't think of anything else right now...but feel free to borrow all of my cds(thats right i buy cds, i'm going down with this sinking ship!!! hahaha) Peace

12:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't know you liked Nirvana! I used to like them .. "here we are now - entertain us" - that's got to be the best line to come out of music in the 90s..

10:54 AM  
Blogger fahd said...

Matt: Borrow i shall! When are you coming back to sauga by the way?

VL: U directed a play? Thats intense. Yea, mixing up the old and new or different cultures always is a breath of fresh air

TT: Yea, i know, I don't look like a Nirvana-ish person. Your right about that line, it sure beats "It doesn't matter if im black or white..heee hee heee". I also like the line "I'm so ugly, but that's okay Cause so are you".

12:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home