http://www.makepovertyhistory.org Visual Metaphor: Rainbows keep falling on my head

Visual Metaphor

Visual Metaphor are the ramblings of an engineering student up in University of Waterloo, Canada. My favorite rants are about philosophy, morality, religion, technology, society and culture with the occassional psychedelic poetry

Name:
Location: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada

Sunday, October 17, 2004

Rainbows keep falling on my head

As i parked my car infront of the building, the dark cloudy skies had this, what i call "ironic", brightness to them. It was brilliantly beautiful. Looking at the clouds, it seemed sad that people would use them as a metaphor for dark, dreary and tragic times.

Today I was parked infront of Merriam's, the music school, for my classical guitar lessons. Guitar in hand, i look up at the sky as i got out of the car. I see this even more wonderous sight: an arching rainbow, almost painted on the skyscape. Did u know rainbows come in pairs? Another rainbow..more transparent..and with an opposite color spectrum made a sweeping arc above the first one. Light is darker inside the first semi-circle..and lighter outside. I think i got that right. I got distracted from the rainbows, however. U know what can distract a person from a rainbow? The sight of people stopping, coming outside of buildings..and just looking up at the sky. And then ur eyes meet, and a smile is passed..without any words being spoken. You know what the other is looking at. You know its different, its special, its awe-striking, humbling.....its simply wonderful.

What would a rainbow be, if there was no one to appreciate it?

2 Comments:

Blogger fahd said...

but if we saw rainbows all the time; would we start taking them for granted? and thus..giving loss to their impact...?

10:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If there were more rainbows in waterloo, perhaps i wouldn't be so suicidal =P I got distracted by one while driving on the highway towards my ballet class a few weeks back, they're so few but have the ability to create a moment that you would never forget. Lovely description fahd, i melted. - annie

5:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home